"Hye,nice to meet you." "Oh hye, Amalina." "Haha you can just call me Mell." "Oh Mell. Why Mell?"
I've been frequently asked upon the being of my nickname, which is Mell by the way, instead of using my birth name, Nur Amalina.
During the primary days, everyone calls me Amalina, except for my parents and family. They call me Kak Long :) I realised that this name is quite long to call out. Try mouthing 'Amalina' and you'll know what I mean. Now try mouthing 'Mell'. Simpler, huh? Thought so. So during Standard Four,when I was still wearing dark blue pinafores and tie up ponytails, I had also a bunch of great close friends. They were Shazmine, Ju Yi, Aiman Syamim, Danial Farhan and Adib Azli. So this is what happened, on the account of my name appointing..
Adib : Tengok tak Spanar Jaya semalam?
Shazmine : Eeeii apa tiba tiba niii??
Aiman : Eh tengok tengok!
Adib : Ada Nasha Aziz masuk kan? Makwe baru Idham?
Aiman : Haah, haah. Cun weyh.
Adib : Perasan tak nama dia apa dalam cite tu?
Aiman,Shazmine,me : Apa??
Adib : Melina. Aku teringat Amalina.
Aiman,Shazmine,me : Heklehhhhhhh
Adib : Pastu dia panggil Mel je. Aku nak panggil Amalina Mel lah :D
Me : Eh suka hati kau je. Tak payah nak memandai -.-
Adib : Mel mel mel mel mel mel mel mel . . . . . .
In high school, no one calls me Amalina except the teachers. Everyone knows me by the name Mell. It was because I let them to. On my first year, during orientation, I was supposed to have a nickname cause Amalina was too long, said Kak Fit. So I said, panggil je lah Mell. During the first few weeks, when people call out my new name, I always turn around reluctantly or answer after a few times I realise that was me being called haha. After the years go on, anyone that calls me Amalina, I'd respond with a grunt or a wide-eyed look, since it has been ages since anyone calls me that.
Nur Amalina - Cahaya harapan Kami.
It's beautiful, I know. Meaningful, in fact. But yeah, simple reasons of it being too long or too common perhaps. Mell is simpler and shorter and by far has no negative meanings I hope.
Sometimes malas sangat - Mell is short for comel sebab I'm comel lah, obviously -.-
Finishing high school and remeeting childhood friends on Facebook reminded me how they remembered me as a Amalina Rusli, not Mell Satria. And it's cute how they exclaim, "Amalina! Lamanya tak jumpaaaaa..." rather than "Hey Mell, hutang nasi lemak hari tu halal eh?" Haha kidding kidding .
So here's why and how I really got my nickname. But during college, I might tell everyone to call me Amalina again. For the fun of it. Then in the future, when someone calls me Amalina then I'd know if that person's a friend from primary or college. Those who calls me Mell must be from high school. And the high school community are always the best in my life :)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Go on, write write :)